Ahhhhhh. The houses are quiet with all the scholars on home visit for a three-week vacation. Summer school came to an end and everyone welcomed a well-deserved break. They played very hard in July:
- Ulises and Ahmarri completed their two-week American Heritage experience at Geneva Glen Camp, Luis attended a Robotics camp at DU, Jorge attended a Young Writer’s workshop at Kenyon College, Luis, Darwyn and Laura attended a Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) camp in Estes Park, and Yovanna attended a leadership institute at the Colorado School of Mines.
- Boys Hope Girls Hope summer camp introduced scholars to the cultures and foods of Germany, Bulgaria and Thailand, how to make piñatas and fascinating trips to the Denver Botanic Gardens, Denver Aquarium, Denver Zoo, and a most stunning performance of Cirque du Soleil’s Amaluna.
- Seven scholars went camping overnight at the Rocky Mountain National Park. There were many firsts for most scholars: s’mores, “free running,” sleeping in the out of doors, wading in a very cold stream, playing capture-the-flag, hiking, and viewing wildlife.
- There were swimming lessons for scholars who didn’t know how to swim (courtesy of the YMCA); and piano lessons for Yovanna, Laura and Luis (courtesy of a fabulous volunteer).
- Alexis, Aaliyah and Kevin are working over the summer. Towards the end of the month, the two college freshmen and Jorge, our rising senior, will be attending BHGH’s Collegiate Prep Camp in Nebraska, while Ahmarri attends the Young RYLA camp in Larkspur.
Scholars and staff will return with renewed enthusiasm in mid-August. Uniforms, school supplies, textbooks and a fresh excitement for the new school year await their return. Ready…set…school!